Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Two Resources and Future Blogging Plans

I have recently purchased two study Bibles. Honestly, I need two new study Bibles like I need a hole in the head, but they both looked so good.

The first I don't have in hand yet and it won't ship till the fall sometime, but from the looks of it, the ESV Study Bible will leave other study Bibles in it's dust. The publishers have released several samples from the Study Bible and I am exceedingly impressed.

The second study Bible is the Apologetics Study Bible (Holman Christian Standard version). I can't say much about the translation as I haven't read much of it yet, but the list of people who contributed articles includes: Ken Boa, Lee Strobel, Dr. James Kennedy, Phillip Johnson, Douglas Geivett, Christopher Wright, John Frame, Daniel Block, Walter Kaiser, Norman Geisler, JP Moreland, Douglas Groothuis, William Dembski, Bruce Ware, Ravi Zacharias, Nigel Cameron, Al Mohler, Walter Bradley, Paul Feinberg, Gary Habermas, Darrell Bock, Thomas Schreiner, John Warwick Montgomery, William Lane Craig, among many more. This is a very diverse group, which will obviously make some articles better than other. In addition, they are approaching apologetics from different standpoints theologically. For example, the article on theodicy relies (lightly) on a "free will" type argument, and many contributors would eschew that argument. This looks like an incredible resource for those active in evangelism on campus (and others). Check it out.

Lastly, I'll be posting some short book reviews over the next few months. I'm taking an independent study in Apologetics, focusing on three areas: Christian evangelism in a postmodern context, the nature of religious knowledge, the new atheism. I have a lot of reading to do, and to aid in the processing of the info, I'll write up reviews and pass them on. Maybe you'll find them helpful also. First one coming next week, hopefully, will be on David Wells book Above All Earthly Pow'rs.

2 comments:

Lisa Joy said...

The only exposure I've had to the Holman Christian Standard Bible is through Beth Moore's study on the Psalms of Ascent. I've been fairly impressed with the trueness of the translation. Unlike the dynamic equivalence of the NIV, the HCSB seems to be more akin to the NASB in its more literal style of translation, while keeping a tone of relevance with our current vernacular and culture. I'd be interested in flipping through the study Bible that you mentioned.

Dan Waugh said...

Lisa,
Pop into the office sometime and feel free to take a look at it. The ones in Barnes and Nobles are vacuum sealed, making browsing a little tough.