Now that we are three quarters of the way through 2011, I thought it would be good to reflect on some goals I had set. If I haven't met any of them, then there's time to get on it still.
1. Slow down: rushing has become a pattern even when unnecessary. Epic Fail. This year seems worse than any year in the past. Two kids involved in multiple sports, Lynn's work, my work, homework, etc. Feels like we're rushing all the time, even when we're laying in front of the tv.
2. Enjoy my pipe at least once a week. Nope. Can I make up for missed weeks by smoking every day till the end of the year?
3. Learn to enjoy the mundane. I do think I've gotten better at this. I even enjoyed mowing the lawn this year, or at least hated it less.
4. Reflect on my readings more (a post-it-note inside each book with one thought it stimulated). Did better at this, but as a lot of my reading came from the library, I should've written reflections in a place that would be permanently accessible. Still room for improvement.
5. Drink less beer. Nope - but I have tried some interesting new beers.
6. Drink more wine, and maybe some Scotch. Nope. Red wine still tastes like cough medicine to me. Like scotch though.
7. Read more dead theologians. Yes. I've been working through Calvin's Institutes and Luther's commentary on Galatians. I've also been reading early reformers, though not their work as much as peoples summaries of their work (not so good with French, etc.).
8. Don't feel guilty for reading fiction. I may have been too successful here. I've read a ton of fiction this year.
9. Stay in better contact with old friends. Some. I've made contact with good old friends that I had fallen out of contact with. Still need to do better. For my excuse, so #1.
10. Play more - not just watch more. Yeah. I've been pretty serious about playing with the boys - baseball, soccer, football, action figure and power rangers (with Luke).
11. Golf at least twice - which is two times more than last year. Nope - but I can make this up! Golf anyone?
12. Get better at woodworking. Maybe. I think I've got another desk project coming my way.
13. Finish the icemaker. NOPE. Six years it hasn't been finished. Do we really need it now?
14. Change my own oil - it's really not that hard! Nope. See #1.
15. Teach Caleb how to change the oil. Ok, I need an oil change. Maybe this week.
16. Go birdwatching more - I've got the books and the binoculars. No.
17. Be on the internet less - especially at home. Yes. Not having a home computer for 4 months made this goal an easy one to meet.
18. Read the Institutes (finally). About half way there.
19. Take more walks - in the neighborhood, in the woods, on campus, in the mall - who cares. Definitely no. Don't remember the last time I went for a walk, unless it was a rushed walk across campus to get to my car before I got a ticket.
20. Do less via email and more over the phone. No. Phone calls are so hard.
21. Do less over the phone and more face to face. Yes. I have had lots of wonderful meeting this year, meeting that I wouldv'e done vial email or phone a year ago.
Ok, so I have a lot of work to do. Better hurry up and get to it.